Christ Jesus – fine art print
$45.00 – $85.00
This archival quality 8 x 9.5 inch print features the Christ in rich jewel tones and metallic gold line work with German Scripture text background and collage application. The imagery from one of Christianity’s most beloved images, is a vibrant expression of devotion on a rich multi-layer background exploration of color and texture. Printed with archival inks on metallic archival quality paper by the artist.
Unframed option — Arrives in a clear protective sleeve with certificate of authenticity. Print is signed by the artist.
Framed option — Arrives in a brushed gold metal frame 14 x 18 inches with bevel cut black mat, protective glass and certificate of authenticity. Print is signed by the artist.
GERMAN TRANSLATIONS OF APPLIED TEXT
Background: Colossians 1-2
And He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together. — Colossians 1:1
I created this piece in conjunction with a blog series I wrote in at the 500-year anniversary of the Protestant Reformation. The blog series explores the disruption of the art and faith connection that came about during the Reformation. Pages of text copied from a Luther Bible I found at the local recycling center became the base for this collage piece. My intent was to restore a traditional icon image to each of the passages selected thereby reconnecting the Protestant faith (with its high regard for Scripture) to the Christian expressions of art it had abandoned.
Based on the Pantocrator icon, Christ holds the Gospel in his left hand while gesturing a sign of blessing with his right. Pantocrator is the Greek word meaning Almighty, all-powerful, ruler of all, sustainer of the world. Pantocrator is the name given to Christ in the book of Revelation where it appears nine times.
Christ Jesus is an example of one of a handful of prescribed compositions or prototypes accepted for portraying Christ in the icon tradition. In this, the Pantocrator model, Christ is pictured holding the gospels in his left hand and makes a gesture of blessing with his right hand, or what is also known as the orator’s gesture indicating Christ has the authority to speak.
In Byzantine church decoration, the Pantocrator would be the largest and most centrally located, usually occupying the church’s central dome.
The Pantocrator is not an exact image of what Christ looked like – but rather a visual metaphor for who Christ is:
- perspective, light and shadow, and coloration are all stylized to alert the viewer that the image portrayed has heavenly significance
- Christ’s dual identity as fully God and fully man are emphasized throughout the image… the part in his hair and beard, the two raised fingers, a garment of red and blue
- these specific garment colors are for Christ only — Christ wears an under-garment of deep red signifying His humanity with a gold band across the right shoulder indicating His rank as highest among all men. He wears an over-garment of blue signifying His divinity.
- note what we would call a halo, the correct term is nimbus. The nimbus is a visual idiom used to indicate holiness, being Spirit-filled, or the light of God radiating from within. While all other
- persons are portrayed with a simple, unadorned and empty nimbus, unique to icons of Christ is the cruciform nimbus, or cross-filled halo (a visual aide in helping identify Christ)
- Christ gazes directly at the viewer, and his eyes have that strange ability to follow you.
The facial expression of an icon, of which this is a great example is known as “joyful sorrow”. In it we see a seriousness touched by sadness. Yet the mouth is often just on the verge of a smile, and the eyes seem to be filled with hope. It’s this kind of expression that makes an icon very approachable. In our human states, our moods and emotions change, even so, you can always come before Christ and feel as though he is identifying with what you are feeling…
He is inviting you into conversation.
|8 × 10 in
Unframed Print, Framed Print —gold metal frame/black mat
You may also like…
Lost Sight Series – gold embossed mounted prints – Set of all 3 – mounted
Lost Sight Series – gold embossed mounted prints – Christ Jesus – mounted$60.00
Lost Sight Series – gold embossed mounted prints$60.00 – $255.00
Lost Sight Series – gold embossed mounted prints – Christ Jesus – framed$95.00